Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Twitter Purist

The Twitter Purist. That's me. One of the people I follow, potty4, posted a link to a site that analyses your Twitter feed and tell you what sort of Twitterer you are.

This is just the sort of thing that regularly saves potty4's bacon. He follows me. He must have obtained me as part of a job lot. He tweets about rural politics and sugar and the price of fruit, and he's a local. In his photo he looks like Rolf Harris. And like Rolf Harris, he is serially boring.

However, twice now I have just been about to unfollow him, when he posts something cool like the abovementioned. I fed in my username. And almost at once the results came back. You are a Twitter Purist.

I am, it tells me, the considerate type, who believes in playing by the rules. I like using Twitter as it was intended. I am polite and always answer the question What are you doing? My ideal city is Geneva and I should drive a white car. It even told me the type of car. A Nissan Micra. Is that a real car? Hmm.

I didn't think I was a Twitter Purist. I have never even sent anyone a direct message. Nor has anyone ever sent me one, except for Bob Brown, the leader of the Greens. He said, 'Thank you for following me.'

Yesterday I found I had a new follower. It was cnnpoliticsnews. They must have obtained me as part of a job lot. I decided not to follow them back. Is that not absurd and delightful? Cnnpoliticsnews is following me, but I am not following them.

I wonder what they thought of my last Tweet which was, if I recall, I don't think my great Granny would have recognised a zucchini.

Tomorrow I will probably find I'm being followed by the Zucchini Growers Association of North Carolina.

No comments: