Saturday, June 23, 2012

Philosophy in a Canvas Bag

This is difficult. Ouvert really wants to show Baby Pierre his Illuminations. But he doesn't want to return to Margaret's new bag.

Why don't you just pop back and get it? says Baby Pierre. I'll wait here.

Err.... no, says Ouvert. I can't go back to that bag.

Why not? asks Baby Pierre.

Because it's going to Australia. And this bag's returning to France.

What? says Baby Pierre. That's the first I've heard of it.

Gaius forgot he was in the Tour de France, says Ouvert. So he's turning back.

Did he actually say he was turning back? asks Baby Pierre.

No, says Ouvert. Not exactly.

Well then, says Baby Pierre. He will go back to Australia first. I guarantee it.

Why? asks Ouvert.

To get his bicycle, says Baby Pierre. You need to think things through, Ouvert.

I'm not used to thinking things through, says Ouvert. Normally I just accept whatever comes.

No you don't, says Baby Pierre. If you did you would've stayed in Margaret's bag.

You ARE a philosopher, says Ouvert, admiringly. Let's talk some more.

Alright, says Baby Pierre. I am in fact an atheist and a free thinker.

Oh wow! says Ouvert, one mouth open. How does that work?

What do you mean, how does that work? says Baby Pierre.

Well, how can you be a free thinker, if you've made up your mind to be an atheist? asks Ouvert.

Ouvert, says Baby Pierre, you are cleverer than you look. I hadn't quite thought that one through.

So we're equal, says Ouvert, hopefully.

I wouldn't go that far, says Baby Pierre. But we can be friends.

Whee! says Ouvert.











No comments: