Monday, July 30, 2012

The Poem of the Sea

Come on then, boy, tell us, said the Cap'n. What's GPS, accordin' to you?

It won't mean much to you pirates, said Arthur, but it's the initials of someone we know.

Ouvert's brain began ticking over. Who did they know?

These are the initials of Gaius Plinius Secundus, said Arthur, otherwise known as Pliny the Elder, or Gaius, from Team Philosophe.

Ouvert was disappointed. Gaius! Gaius didn't even like him. Thanks very much, Belle et Bonne.

But the pirates had pricked up their ears.

Pliny the Elder, said the Cap'n. Happen I 'ave 'eard of 'im.  GPS. Smart reasonin' young lad. Ye've 'eard of 'im, Mr Higgs?

Aye, said Mr Higgs. Pliny the Elder, the natural historian. A very famous person, no denyin'. How comes it that you lads know 'im?

Arthur was irritated by their recognition of boring old Gaius.

Perhaps now is the time to introduce myself, he said airily. I'm Arthur Rimbaud, the poet. Quite as famous as him.

Oh yes? Pull the other one laddie, said the Cap'n. What 'ave ye writ?

Illuminations, said Arthur, A Season in Hell, The Drunken Boat.........

The Drunken Boat! said the Cap'n. That sounds like a good 'un. Give us some lines.

Stop! said Ouvert. What about me?

I s'pose ye'll be tellin' us ye're famous too? said the Bo'sun.

I'm lucky, said Ouvert. I won the Tour de France.

That's a lie, said Arthur. He left before the end. Would you men like to hear my poem?

Aye, said the Cap'n. Put 'im in that there envelope, an' we'll 'ear the poem.

Arthur began, somewhere in the middle:

And from that time on I bathed in the Poem of the Sea, star-infused and churned into milk, devouring the green azure.......

Oh laddie, said the Cap'n, 'ow I do like that poem,' tis pure language that is, I do believe ye, now.

Arthur was mollified.

Ouvert thrashed about inside the envelope. But Arthur had sealed it and thrust it back inside his pocket.

No comments: