Monday, August 24, 2015

The Spotter Spots

So it is decided.

This afternoon, they will ride to Geneva, with Oscar and Em.

It will be educational for Terence.

It will be good exercise.

And Em does not seem to be saddled with a husband

(It's only Vello who finds this last fact appealing).

Here they are now on their bicycles, heading for Pays de Gex.

Oscar (Parrot-Boy) has his own bike, which he rides half a wheel behind David.

This is in order to mock and taunt Terence.

This is a NEW bike, says Oscar.

Mine is an OLD bike, says Terence.

You don't even have one, says Oscar.

I do, says Terence, but right now I'm not riding it because I have to do science.

Bullshit, says Oscar. What science?

GPS, says Terence.

Oscar is silenced, temporarily.

I'm nearly nine, says Oscar.

Me too, says Terence. Two thousand and nine. Nearly. That's why I can do GPS. I used to live in a palace. That's what the P is for. PALACE. And the G is for GOOD.

Oscar doesn't want to believe it.

What's the S for?

Spotter, says Terence.

You have to hand it to Terence.

He learned to think fast from Saint Joseph. Not that Saint Joseph thought fast. But you had to think fast to avoid being whacked with a carpentry tool every so often, for something quite minor.

And the Virgin was useless.

........

Vello is riding in front alongside Em, the delightful young scientist mother.

David catches the odd word, on the breeze.

...what science do you....

.....crystallography......

....fascinating......

......hard and transparent...

.....very beautiful.....

....oh REALLY!.....

........

David turns to ask Terence a question.

Terence hopes it's about GPS.

What? says Terence, looking sideways at Oscar.

Just checking to see if you're wearing your hat, says David benignly.

Watch where you're going! cries Terence.

David wobbles, and regains his balance.

Thank me for that, says Terence.

That wasn't GPS, says Oscar scornfully.

No, says Terence. That was mischief.

I do mischief, says Oscar. I stayed out all night outside the Post Office, remember?

I know, says Terence. You were up on the lintel. I watched over you.

I watched over you, says Oscar. I was the highest.

I watched under you. You were a Parrot, says Terence.

I'm still a Parrot, says Oscar.

I need a Parrot, says Terence.

Let's be blood brothers, says Oscar.

Okay, says Terence. What'll happen?

I'll steal mum's knife, says Oscar.

No comments: