Tuesday, January 23, 2018

It's Going To Be Scary

Next day, early morning.

Wittgenstein is pacing.

What's up? asks Vello.

No need to bring anything, says Wittgenstein. Would you call that an unasserted proposition?

Vello considers. What the dickens is an unasserted proposition?

If so, says Wittgenstein, it is a meaningless statement.

Well, let's say it is, says Vello. Where does that leave you?

I don't know, says Wittgenstein. Do I or don't I?

You're going camping, says David. With a lady. I should think you should take at least a bare minimum.

Which is? asks Wittegnstein wildly.

He runs his long bony fingers through his black hair until it stands vertical.

There is a knock on the door.

Ready, Ludwig? asks Margaret.

Er, yes, says Wittgenstein.

Where are your things then? asks Margaret.

Just a minute, says Wittgenstein. He runs into the spare bedroom, and stuffs a notebook into his pocket.

David hands him a cloth bag, with something soft in it.

Enjoy yourselves, says Vello. Will you be fishing?

Of course, says Margaret. If we don't fish we don't eat.

Neither Vello nor David see the look on Wittgenstein's face as he is leaving.

...

Early morning, at Gaius's house.

Ready, Terence? asks Gaius.

No, says Terence. Why do I have to go?

No one else wants you, says Gaius. Saint Roley and I don't find you to be too much trouble.

But I haven't got my new parrot, says Terence.

You're not getting one, says Saint Roley.

You're getting an old parrot, says Gaius. Who knows where from. But we can't wait about till Farky's prediction comes true.

It's not fair, says Terence. Everyone believes Farky, but not me.

You haven't said anything, says Saint Roley.

Listen, says Terence.

Gaius stops packing and listens. Saint Roley listens too.

They listen for at least thirty seconds.

You still haven't said anything, says Saint Roley.

That's what it's like, says Terence, when I REALLY don't say anything.

Keep on not saying anything, says Saint Roley. We're going to the Coorong and it's going to be scary.

Terence doesn't say anything.

But he doesn't like places that are scary.

Come, says Gaius. I'm ready now, although I'm sure I've forgotten something.

A pencil?

Worse than that, he hasn't thought how he's going to get there.


No comments: