Sunday, April 24, 2022

Back To Where They Left Us

Sit here, says Bronte. Would you like a drink of water?

No, says Terence.

I need to get in touch with your parents, says Bronte.

They're not my parents, says Terence.

I must intervene here, says Roo-kai.

And why is that? asks Bronte.

This is all my fault, says Roo-kai. I'm in loco parentis.

You're a bird, says Bronte.

My parrot, says Terence.

More like an ibis, says Bronte.

I'm nothing like an ibis! says Roo-kai.

More like an ibis than a parrot, says Bronte.

Terence calls all his birds parrots, says Roo-kai. And we indulge him. It's a compliment really.

Yes, says Terence, parrots are the cleverest. 

Although that is debatable, says Roo-kai.

I'm confused, says Bronte. You're a fake parrot in loco parentis. Can you prove it?

Unfortunately not, says Roo-kai. But I do have credentials.

What kind of credentials? asks Bronte.

A medal from the French government, says Roo-kai. Chevalier des Clandestines.

Show me, says Bronte.

I think Terence has it, says Roo-kai.

I lost it, says Terence.

Again? says Roo-kai.

Enough of this, says Bronte. I need to write down a few details. The kid's called Terence?

Yes, says Roo-kai. And my name is Roo-kai.

How come you've got a Japanese name? asks Bronte.

It's not quite Japanese, says Roo-kai. It's Terence's version of Ryoukai.

Got it! says Bronte.

You know Japanese? says Rou-kai.

Not really, says Bronte. But I sometimes read manga. 

Stop talking, says Terence. You're supposed to be helping someone to find me,

There's really no need, says Roo-kai. Terence and I could go back to where Gaius and Wittgenstein left us, and wait there.

Are you really a Chevalier des Clandestines? asks Bronte.

Yes, says Roo-kai. 

Bronte looks at Roo-kai closely. The bird does look honest.

Go then, says Bronte. 

Roo-kai picks up the pot plant.


No comments: