Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dangerous

The red knitted hat that Ageless produced was smaller than Baby Pierre had imagined, and full of holes.

It has a lot of holes in it, he said, trying to sound non-judgemental.

It has, agreed Ageless. I don't find knitting easy you know. I keep dropping stitches. But look on the bright side. You and your friend will be able to breathe.

Do you think we'll fit under it? asked Frog.

You don't know much about knitting, said Ageless. It stretches and stretches.

But the holes will get bigger too, said Baby Pierre. And then we'll fall out.

Dropped stitches don't work like that, said Ageless patiently. They go into ladders, like stockings.

Ladders, said Frog. That sounds safe enough. I'm happy to get in.

You don't need to get in just yet, said Ageless. The Royal Institution is right across town. And we're running late, so let's get a move on.

They set off, across North Terrace and through Gawler Place to Rundle Mall.

Are we there yet? said Frog.

Half way, replied Ageless. Would you like me to carry you?

He waved a large pincer at Frog.

No thankyou, said Frog. I can manage.

What's Synthetic Biology? asked Baby Pierre.

It's something scientists do, said Ageless. I'm against it myself.

But what is it? asked Baby Pierre.

Dangerous, said Ageless. But you two are younger than me. You may be all for it.

I'm not really younger than you, said Baby Pierre. You forget I'm a stone. Frog is certainly younger.

Then I may be all for it, said Frog. When I know what it is.

No comments: