Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dogs Know What They Know

Jesus tried to explain to Belle et Bonne and Marie why Farquar was not a lovely name. They both laughed.

Maybe I'm losing my sense of humour, thought Jesus. Lighten up!

Just then Farquar bounded up, and began to lick Belle et Bonne's bare leg.

Hello doggy, hello feller, she said, bending down to give him a pat. What a darling puppy! Hello Farky!

Farky turned his attention to Jesus, latching on to the hem of his shorts.

Hey! said Jesus, trying to detach his new friend. Good boy! Good boy! Now, off you go back to your family.

No! said the dog. I'm staying with you!

Did you hear that? said Marie, astonished. That dog spoke to you.

Awesome! said Jesus. He bent down and addressed the dog.

Farquar, he said. Did you just say something to me?

The name's Farquhar, said Farquhar. Farquhar MacTaggart. I like you. So I'm going to stay with you.

But you belong to those people back there, said Jesus.

Farquhar MacTaggart decides who he belongs to, said Farquhar.

Why do you like me? asked Jesus.

You have an air of self doubt, said Farquhar MacTaggart.

Do I? asked Jesus, doubtfully.

QED, said Farquhar. I like that in a man.

You can't keep him, said Belle et Bonne. That would be stealing.

Stealing! barked Farquhar MacTaggart. Stealing! I'm not a piece of property!

Let's just go, said Jesus. And see what happens.

They left the beach and recovered their bicycles, Farquhar following behind.

Dont forget your sheet! barked Farquhar. It's over there on that bush.

How did you now it was mine? asked Jesus.

I'm a dog, said Farquhar.

No comments: