Saturday, December 20, 2014

Goodbye Activist

Brian Inder stares out to sea from the Edge of the World. His soul is stirring.

He is no longer paying attention to physical things.

Sweezus has picked up a pebble, inspired by the text on the monument, and Zak's mother.

He looks down at the pebble he's chosen.

I know you, says the pebble.

Me? says Sweezus. I don't think so.

I know your type, says the pebble.

What is it saying? asks Arthur, coming closer.

It knows my type, says Sweezus. Is that insulting?

Could be, says Arthur.

It is, says the pebble. I don't mind saying so.

Do you have an issue? asks Sweezus.

Yes, says the pebble. No one thinks of us pebbles.

Wrong, says Sweezus. The monument. It's about man and the pebble. Pebble, mute witness of the aeons.

And then they chuck us into the ocean, says the pebble. Mute witness to man's thoughtlessness.

Look at that guy, says Sweezus. He's thoughtful.

There's a growing pile of us out there, says the pebble. All thinking the same. What's the point? Let us get moving in our own sweet time.

Where were you before? asks Arthur.

Arthur River Lineament, says the pebble. Wish I was back there. It was a comfortable sub-horizontal feature, with various slices vertically stacked.

Is it far? asks Arthur. We could go there.

I'd like that, says the pebble. Of course I'd get there myself eventually.

From anywhere? asks Sweezus.

He still wants to throw the pebble into the ocean from Edge of the World in a meaningful manner.

Anywhere, says the pebble, but I would like a lift, if one's going.

Come on, says Arthur. I want to see Arthur River, and the Lineament.

Okay, says Sweezus. Which way?

South, says the pebble. Goodbye Brian!

Brian Inder turns to watch their backs disappearing.

What does it matter, one pebble going off in a different direction? And that one was an activist. Good riddance.


No comments: