Monday, December 15, 2014

The Truth About Hearing

I knew it, says Ying. That green slime didn't agree with him. I blame his Grandpa.

Terence lies in the mud in a coma.

When you are in a coma you hear everything.

But you can't have your usual say.

Terence is thinking: I did it for Grandpa's story.

But Marx, who isn't his Grandpa, and just looks like God ( but in brown overalls, less so), is not one to accept blame easily.

Don't blame me, says Marx.

We are not blaming you, says Gaius. We need to help Terence.

He won't die, says Arthur

Good one, says Surfing-With-Whales.

Sweezus looks doubtful, until he remembers. Terence can't die at his age.

Terence thinks (again comatosely): I want my story.

He might remain in a coma, says Ying. Food poisoning is serious.

It was dirt, says Stew. Lots of people eat it.

It was green slime, says Ying, and it came from where Arthur was lying.

Arthur wonders, momentarily, if drugs remain effective in vomit. Don't they go straight to your head?

Ying is annoyed that Marx is getting away with incitement.

She goes over to Terence and lifts his little head tenderly.

It seems to her that Terence is straining.

He's straining, says Ying.

To do what? asks Gaius.

I don't know, says Ying. Wake up Terence!

Terence makes an effort.

Blip blip. He opens his eyes. His eyes say: I want a story.

He wants a story, says Ying.

She has younger brothers. She knows the look.

I suppose I do owe him a story, says Marx.

Everyone looks at Marx. They all love a story.

Marx begins: When I was young I terrorised my five sisters. I drove them through the town at breakneck speed in our carriage. I made them eat mud pies. They endured my torments because at the end I had promised them a story. I was an excellent storyteller.

Is that it? says Arthur.

That's it, says Marx. True story.

Sweezus mulls over the story. Not bad for a short one. And quite clever the more you think about it, yeah........circular and self referential.

Surfing-With-Whales is an only child. He doesn't get it. No one made him eat mud pies.

That was a nice story, says Ying. And look, Terence is smiling.

Well almost. He's opening his mouth in an unusual way.

Bleuah!  He throws up the rest of the drug laced green slime mud vomit.

He sits up, feeling better.

Thank you Grandpa, he says.

Which just goes to show the truth about hearing while in a coma.




No comments: