Saturday, November 25, 2017

Sweet Flea

Belle comes in, with Terence and Saint Roley.

Gaius wakes up. Baldy stops reading.

Flea market! says Belle, dropping a bulging shopping bag down on the table.

We got presents, says Terence. Mine's a dog. His is a painting.

His? says Baldy.

Mine, says Saint Roley. A painting to remind me of my brother.

Let me see it, says Gaius.

Don't freak out, says Belle. It's largish. So's the dog. But I didn't have the heart to refuse them. And I got you something.

You shouldn't have, says Gaius.

It's a tea towel, says Belle. You're right, I shouldn't have. Perhaps we can share it.

Certainly, says Gaius. It's sure to come in handy. What's this! Did you buy two paintings?

No, this is it, says Belle. I suppose you were expecting a bird.

Saint Roley has perched on the top of the painting. The painting is a head and shoulders portrait of a young man. It is painted on cardboard. The young man has neatly brushed hair and a solemn expression.

I suppose... about the eyes... there is a certain likeness, says Gaius.

Wait till you see my DOG! says Terence. It's smiling.

Belle pulls out the dog. A white ceramic poodle with his head one one side, looking upwards and grinning. On its shoulder and down its right side, a spray of painted flowers.

It IS large, says Gaius.

What do I get ? asks Baldy.

You get the DOG, says Terence. Surprise! It's for you because you're not coming.

I don't want it, says Baldy. It'll make me sad every time I look at it because I'm not coming.

Have the painting instead, says Terence.

MY painting! says Saint Roley. Baldy doesn't even have a brother.

Your brother was a bird, says Baldy. Not a person.

So what? says Saint Roley. It's not the PERSON that reminds me of my brother.

I thought it was, says Belle. So why did you let me buy it?

The cardboard, says Saint Roley. My brother floated away on a flat piece of cardboard.

Gaius and Belle look at one another.

Then really, any cardboard would do.

It's sweet, though.

Speaking of which, Sweezus and Arthur come in, with an old fashioned basket.

Nice china dog! says Sweezus. Whoa! Crap painting.

Terence beams. Saint Roley looks daggers.

What have you guys got in the basket? asks Belle.

Macarons, says Arthur. Lemon, caramel and raspberry. We made them.

I don't believe you, says Belle They look too professional.

Yeah, we went to this lady's house, says Sweezus. She runs macaron making classes. And you get a glass of champagne. We had.... several.

I suppose you had to pay for the privilege, says Gaius.

$145.40, but worth it, says Sweezus.

Moneybags! says Belle. Has papa paid you?

Yep! says Sweezus. Try one.

Belle tries a lemon macaron. It's good. She can hardly believe it.

And there are so many. They can't eat all of them. They'll dry out in the basket.

Then she remembers the tea towel.

No comments: