Sunday, March 3, 2019

How To Act A Bad Smell

Belle turns up, with Terence.

Hi, says Elodie. The seats have arrived.

Seats are stacked up in fives by the fence line.

Only twenty! says Belle. I ordered forty.

The rest are in the sink hole, says Elodie. I hope you don't mind.

In the sink hole! says Belle. Why?

It was Gaius's suggestion, says Elodie. And the guys who delivered them wanted to know where to put them so I made an executive decision.

I'd better go down there and see, says Belle. You stay here, Terence.

Boo, says Terence. I want to go down in the sink hole.

No, stay with me, says Elodie. Show me your stink button. Is it working?

Yes, says Terence. It's working, but I'm not allowed to press it.

What's the smell like? asks Elodie. Don't show me, just describe it.

Poo, says Terence. Stinky orange poo. Like when....

It's not poo! comes a voice from the sink hole. It's bitter orange.

But that's quite a nice smell, says Elodie.

I know, says Belle. I was thinking of the audience.

I have to ACT the bad smell, says Terence. Want to watch me?

Yes, says Elodie. Do it for me and Celia and Saint Roley.

What's he supposed to be doing? asks Celia.

Acting a bad smell, says Elodie.

Smelling it or being it? asks Saint Roley.

Don't confuse him, shouts Belle, from the sink hole.

Terence stands still as a statue.

Except that his eyes move.

He looks up to the heavens.

He looks sideways.

And down.

Is that it? asks Saint Roley.

I haven't started, says Terence.

Belle comes up from the sink hole.

It's actually brilliant, says Belle. Half the audience up top and half in the sink hole.

Is it safe though? asks Elodie. Gaius did say Arthur had made it safe as houses.

Arthur did it? says Belle. Hm. I noticed a few sagging places.

You've got dirt in your hair, says Elodie.

Drat, says Belle, running her fingers through. Yes, he's burrowed in a fair way. But we won't put the seats there.

Smell anything? asks Terence.

He wafts his arms, lies down and waggles his legs.

Yes, says Celia, sniffing. Good effort.

Terence stands up, looking proud.

A smell of bitter oranges drifts through the air, awakening Nobby.

Fwoo! says Nobby.

But Belle is not pleased with the outcome.

No comments: