Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Being A Higher Being

Kierkegaard wades out again.

The crabs are still there.

I take it you're interested in my infinite qualitative distinction, says Kierkegaard.

We'd like to know what it is, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

And if it pertains to us, adds Alexander-Groovy.

It pertains to us all, says Kierkegaard. Except, wait..... maybe it doesn't.

Because we're crabs? asks Alexander-Curly.

Try us, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Kierkegaard thinks before speaking. How can he put this to crabs?

Do you acknowledge the existence of a higher being? asks Kierkegaard.

A higher crab? asks Alexander-Red-Hook.

Um, yes, says Kierkegaard. I ought to have said "higher crab".

I don't, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Not since I had that hectic glimpse of the after life.

On the bus? says Kierkegaard. I don't blame you. What about the others?

Me? Yes,  says Alexander-Groovy.

Me too, says Alexander-Curly.

Then I do, as a hypothetical, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

And what are its attributes? asks Kierkegaard.

It looks like a crab? says Alexander-Curly.

But higher, says Alexander-Groovy.

Shallow thinking, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Shallow thinking! Surely not the attribute of a higher crab? says Kierkegaard. Although don't let me influence you.

You misunderstand me, says Alexander-Red-Hook. My companions are shallow. They have never considered the attributes of a higher crab, that is obvious.

And you have? asks Kierkegaard.

Yes, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Just now. How long does it take to come up with an intelligent answer?

Kierkegaard is impressed, whatever her answer.

Go on, says Kierkegaard.

As finite and temporal beings, says Alexander-Red-Hook, we can never fully understand the infinite and eternal qualities of a supreme being.

I was going to say that, says Alexander-Groovy.

So was I, says Alexander-Curly.

And why not? It was clever.

Kierkegaard thinks the same. In fact is sounds exactly like the idea he has waded out to elucidate.

He does not need to be here.

He turns.

He didn't even ask us if we were coming back, says Alexander-Groovy

So much for being a smart arse, says Alexander-Red-Hook.


No comments: