Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Mark Of The Claw

Terence has painted upside down flames, on Sweezus's costume.

Now for the devils.

I'll do the devils, says Belle. 

I'll do mine! says Baby Pierre.

Do you think you can do them? asks Belle.

I know all about claws, says Baby Pierre.

Of course, says Belle. You bear the Mark of the Claw. 

But you can't see it, loser, says Terence. It's on top of your head.

Ever heard of mirrors? says Baby Pierre.

And anyway, says Terence, I have my own claw.

I forgot you had that! says Belle. 

It's only a bird claw, says Baby Pierre.

Yours is only a lobster claw, says Terence.

Not ONLY, says Baby Pierre.

Ha ha, laughs Terence. Remember when you thought Ageless was your daddy?

That was a long time ago, says Baby Pierre.

Earthquake! calls Vello.

Terence, give me your paintbrush, says Belle. The Earthquake is you.

And me, says Baby Pierre. Wait! I don't have my socks on!

Terence doesn't wait for Baby Pierre to get his socks on.

He runs to the auto-da-fé.

Sweezus staggers to the front of the upturned table, having been flogged behind it, for technical reasons.

Cue, Terence! says Vello.

Terence dances in front of Sweezus. HEY! Another Earthquake is coming. The plan didn't work! HEY for the CLAW! HEY! HEY! HEY!

What CLAW? asks Vello. 

All The CLAWS! cries Terence. This one! ( he waves his claw finger) That one! And Ageless!

Ageless! says Vello. Is he here yet? He's in the next scene.

Not yet, says Gaius. I'll look downstairs.

Terence can't say all that claw stuff, says Sweezus. 

No he can't, says Vello. It interrupts the flow. Go on with your monologue.

Okay, says Sweezus. If this is the best of all possible worlds, what can the rest be like? Pangloss, the greatest of philosophers, has been hanged. The best of men, my dear Anabaptist, is drowned. And as for the beautiful Lady Cunégonde, pearl amongst women, was it really necessary for her to be disembowelled?

Now? asks Terence.

Yes, now, says Vello. But no CLAW references. Just rumblings, as our hero staggers away.

Rumble BUMBLE, says Terence.

You can tell that his heart is not in it.


No comments: