Wednesday, February 17, 2021

She Comes Apart

Gaius re-enters the office, with a basket.

Ageless is half way up the stairs, says Gaius. 

Tell him to get a move on, says Vello.

He's getting a move on, now he's been relieved of his basket, says Gaius.

Is it his lunch? asks Vello.

Not his lunch! says someone from the depths of the basket.

It's Kobo, says Gaius. His beloved. He's brought her. I don't know what for.

Put her down in the corner, says Vello.

A scraping noise is heard on the stairs.

Ageless appears, in the doorway.

Where is my beloved?

In the corner, says Gaius. 

I need her, says Ageless. 

We need YOU, says Vello. Your scene is next. Did you bring a costume?

She is my costume, says Ageless.

Remind me, says Vello. What is she?

A fossilised clam, says Gaius. It will be interesting to see her transformed into a costume.

A sash will suffice, says Ageless.

Get me out, says Kobo. And I'll speak for myself.

Gaius lifts Kobo out of the basket, and places her on the floor in front of the table.

I've agreed to play the Old Woman's left buttock, says Kobo. 

Very nice, says David. 

Was it the left one? asks Vello. Just check that.

Captain Baudin flicks though a few pages of Vello's old copy.

It is not mentioned, says Captain Baudin.

Fine, says Vello. We don't want to get picked up on small details.

I'm sure no one will remember, says David.

As I must be one or the other, I'll be the left one, says Kobo. Now tie me on.

I'm ready, beloved, says Ageless. 

Belle, says Vello. Do we have something to use for a sash?

Here, says Belle, selecting a royal blue ribbon.

She lifts Kobo onto Ageless's back, wraps the sash around both of them and secures it with a discreet little bow.

Unless I'm mistaken, says Kobo, I'm too centred.

You are not mistaken, beloved, says Ageless. I feel the same.

He wiggles his carapace.

Kobo remains in the middle. 

Belle's bow is too good.

Never mind! says Vello. Fix it next time. It's of minor importance.

Kobo remains quiet but she can't see how it's of minor importance. 

Ready, says Sweezus. 

He starts to stagger away.

Ageless waddles towards him, with Kobo secured by the bow.

Pull yourself together young man....begins Ageless.

Kobo makes an effort to shift to the left.

Sweezus turns, in time to see the Old Woman coming apart.


No comments: