Friday, September 2, 2022

Now A Doorman

Belle asked me to set up a rendez-vous in Le Havre, says Roo-kai.

Okay, says Baby Pierre. Where?

The Shipowner's House, says Roo-kai. Do you know where that is?

I'll ask when I get to Le Havre, says Baby Pierre.

Fine, says Roo-kai. Belle said she thought you'd go there.

She was right. How did she know? asks Baby Pierre.

Better ask her, says Roo-kai.

He flies back up the road to where Belle has emerged from the Boucles de la Seine and entered the port of Le Havre.

Big boats! says Terence. 

Yes, says Belle. What are they all?

Tugboats, supply ships, cargo ships, container ships, oil tankers, crane ships, bulk carriers, and passenger cruise ships.

To name just a few.

I told Baby Pierre we'd meet them at the Shipowner's House, says Roo-kai. 

Great, says Belle. We'll check out where it is, and then we'll explore the dock area.

She takes out her phone, and gets directions to 3 quai de I'lle.

It's a five storey house, now a museum. A lobster is waiting outside.

Bonjour, madame, says the lobster, as Belle leans her bicycle against the wall.

Bonjour, says Belle. 

Are you taking the tour? says the lobster. It's self-guided. Here is a list of the objects you can see in the various rooms. But I should warn you, some of them have been re-located.

That will not bother us, says Belle.

It will bother me, says Terence. 

It won't, says Belle. 

Seven euros for you madame, says the lobster, and free for the child.

We're not going in yet, says Belle. We're just here to set up a rendez-vous. 

That's all right, says the lobster. When will your friends be arriving?

Later on, says Belle. I don't know exactly. But Roo-kai will keep us posted. The thing is, one of our friends has a special purpose for coming to Le Havre, and you might be involved.

I, madame? says the lobster.

Do you know Ageless lobster? asks Belle.

Ageless lobster! says the lobster, Of course I know Ageless! Is it he?

No, says Belle. He's still in Adelaide, as far as I know. Our friend is Baby Pierre. Ageless is his mentor.

Then he is welcome! cries the lobster. I am Martin-Pierre Foache by the way. I owned this fine house once, but now alas, I must serve as a doorman. Still, it's a living.

Wonderful, says Belle. Okay, we'll be back later.

I await your return, says Martin-Pierre Foache, and the arrival of Ageless's baby.

Ha ha, laughs Terence. He's not a baby!

He's actually a pebble, says Belle. Quite an old one. With a mark on his head like a claw.

Or a tulip, says Terence.

Apologies, says Martin-Pierre Foache. And merci for the heads-up.

Belle turns to go.

Martin-Pierre Foache sees the droopy half-carrot, attached to a small pair of shorts, hanging from her back pack.

He wonders if she knows it is there.


No comments: