Sunday, September 18, 2022

Wrong Country

They part, at the station.

Pierre-Louis goes home to resurrect his old bicycle.

Arthur sets off for Cancale.

It's a fine day for cycling. Arthur goes fast. 

He'll meet up with Belle all the sooner.

On the other hand.....he'll be further away.

It all depends what the plan was.

Did anyone say?

He slows down and calls Sweezus.

What's up bro? asks Sweezus. You there yet?

Cycling along the coast road, says Arthur. 

Which way? asks Sweezus.

Towards Le Havre, says Arthur. I haven't met Belle yet.

Yeah, cool, says Sweezus. So what's the problem?

What do I do with the frogs when I get them? asks Arthur.

Dunno, says Sweezus. Wait, yeah I do. You bring them back home. Gaius wants them.

Okay, says Arthur. So what was the hurry?

No idea, says Sweezus. But they're in the wrong country. I guess they might die.

Merde! says Arthur. 

Rather you than me, bro, says Sweezus. 

Okay, says Arthur. But maybe I don't need to hurry. 

Mate, you don't need to hurry, says Sweezus. 

Except for one thing, says Arthur. There's this guy I met on the train. 

Yeah? 

Malpertuis. An enemy of Vello.

Never heard of him.

Wears a Lapland type hat.

Nup. Never.

He wants to catch up with me. 

Where are you now?

Cancale.

And you don't want him to catch up with you, but you don't want to hurry.

That's it.

Plan. Go and visit that whatsername nun lady. Lapland hat guy'll cycle right past you.

What nun lady?

You remember.

No.

Jeanne someone. Jeanne Jugan.

Yes, I remember her now. 

So go on. You can wait at her place for Belle, get the frogs and catch the train back to Paris, then fly home from there. Hey, gotta go, buddy, my flight's boarding.

Thanks, bro, says Arthur.

Arthur heads for Jeanne Jugan's.

It's not like Sweezus to come up with a sensible plan. 


No comments: