Saturday, February 7, 2009

Acropetal

The basil plant, mused Pliny the Elder, grows acropetally, or upwards from the top.

You don't have to tell me, I countered, I am always trying to prevent it from doing so. If I don't keep pinching off the flowers they stop producing leaves.

I have been meaning to talk to you on that subject, he said. In Roman times women were not allowed to touch basil plants. I note you are always out there picking at yours.

What's wrong with that? I asked.

The basil plant is considered to be a symbol of malice and lunacy, he replied. Indeed they say it must be sown by curses, muttered if you have near neighbours; and if the earth is rammed down and prayers are uttered that the seeds never come up, so much the better.

Bizarre, I said. But what has it to do with women?

Women are particularly prone to malice and lunacy, he said. But further, the basil is an aphrodisiac, and is given to horses during the mating season. Women should not be allowed free access to such a herb.

I see your point, I said. But it is out of date.

No comments: