Sunday, February 8, 2009

Nest of Scorpions

Here's a story for you, I said to Pliny the Elder. A gentleman of Siena was so taken with the scent of basil that he sniffed it all the time, taking it as snuff. Not long after he went mad and died. When his doctors cut open his head they found a nest of scorpions.

Great Jupiter! exclaimed Pliny, who had just been sniffing at a bunch of basil, preliminary to making a batch of pesto. Who told you that?

It's recorded in the writings of Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, the famous 17th century botanist, I said. And there's a similar story in Nicolas Culpeper's Complete Herbal , only he claims it was a Frenchman who was brainscorpioned.

Nonsense, said Pliny, these are foolish tales. Basil is a royal herb, its name comes from the Greek basileus meaning king. It is good for treating a number of ailments including stomach cramps, catarrh, vomiting, constipation, depression, whooping cough, indigestion, headache, fevers, colds, flu, warts, worms and insect bites. It also repels flies and mosquitoes. I myself find it very effective in relieving flatulence.

As to that, I said politely, I hadn't noticed, and I must admit, I don't think basil has ever cured me of anything, but I do think it is brilliant with fresh tomatoes.

Tomatoes! squawked Pliny. Do you not know that they are poisonous?

No comments: