Thursday, February 26, 2009

Inukshuk

Look at this, I said to Piny the Elder this morning. It is a photogaph of an Inukshuk.

It looks like a pile of stones, said Pliny.

Yes it is a pile of stones, I said, but it is in the shape of a person. I googled Inukshuk. It's Inuit for something that performs the function of a person.

So it is, said Pliny, looking closely. But the photographer, if you care to read his text, does not claim it is an Inukshuk, but that it is like an Inukshuk.

I suppose it can't be an Inukshuk unless it functions as one, I said thoughtfully.

But what is the function of an Inukshuk? Pliny asked.

Well, it seems the Inuit made them for navigational purposes, or as memorials, or to indicate a migration route or a place where fish could be found.

This one is in Northumberland, said Pliny, but it could still serve one of those functions. Perhaps there is a fish under it.

Do you think that would make it an Inukshuk? I asked.

Pliny thought for a minute. No, he said finally, but it would make it more like one.

4 comments:

Andy Craig Photography said...

There was no fish under it but there was a sea urchin nearby and that's good enough for me.

Lynn Webber said...

Well that's good enough for Pliny and me too. So it's totally like one then!

Andy Craig Photography said...

My real reason for not claiming it to be an Inukshuk is that I'm not Innuit. I was thinking about this last night and imagining an eskimo in a bright pink skirt claiming he had made a kilt!

Lynn Webber said...

Oh yes, that would be just plain wrong. I admire your ethical stance.