Friday, July 5, 2013

Aix-en-Provence to Montpellier: Cross Currents

Today is Stage Six, Aix-en-Provence to Montpellier.

There is a threat of strong wind. Everyone is riding as fast as they possibly can.

Niko is out in front, with Ageless sitting close behind.

Ageless is behaving badly, and shouting at his captain and team mate, such things as Bishop Brains! and other rude taunts.

Niko pretends not to hear him.

Sweezus and Surfing-With-Whales are trying to get into a breakaway group that has already broken away.

Perhaps we should split up, says Sweezus. You're faster.

Nup, says Surfing-With-Whales. I need your support.

Be a man, says Sweezus. This is the TOUR!

But if Arthur's into Unni.......says Surfing-With-Whales.

I shouldn't 've said it, says Sweezus. It was just.....

I get it, says Surfing-With-Whales. Now she looks like.....

...a boy, says Sweezus, nodding sympathetically, while trying to avoid being side-swiped by Andre Greipel.

Shit, he's in a hurry!

David and Vello are not too far behind, riding seriously hard, until they see Daudet's Windmill. They slow down for a look.

Daudet's Windmill, says Vello. Isn't it nice.

It is very nice, agrees David. Look, someone's inside.

Someone emerges from the windmill wheeling a bicycle. He is wearing an outfit rather like Niko's, so he too looks like a bee.

The man mounts his bike and catches up to David and Vello.

Freud! cries Vello. That's what Arthur was saying! Not ANDROID!

Hello! says Professor Freud. Well met, you two. Mind if I ride along?

You'll have to go faster than this, my friend, says Vello. There's a wind coming up.

I'll do my best, says Professor Freud. You must go on ahead if you want to.

So you're not in the Tour? says David.

I'm not in a team, says Freud, who is puffing already. I'm putting up posters. Advertising my new business, Paintball and Pedal.

Well done! says David. New business. I like that. By the way, you look just like Niko. We thought you were him.

Yes we did, says Vello, and I wish that you were. We believe Niko is cheating.

Dear me, cheating, says Freud. That won't do. But it gives me a clever idea.



No comments: