Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Les Deux Magots

Belle et Bonne has invited everyone to dinner at Les Deux Magots, in Saint-Germain-des-Près.

But bad feelings abound.

Unni can't decide who to sit next to. She is angry with everyone there.

Sit next to me, Unni dear, says Belle et Bonne. Tell me what's the matter.

Oh, you know, says Unni. We got disqualified.

But you all deserved it, says Belle et Bonne. Look on the bright side.

All very well, says Gaius. But what is the bright side?

At least Arthur didn't get punished, says Belle et Bonne.

She has a soft spot for Arthur.

Surfing-With-Whales bangs his fist on the table.

Only I did! says Surfing-With-Whales. Yet we both swapped teams.

But if you hadn't swapped teams..... begins Vello, reasonably.

Arthur has had enough. He picks up a menacing butter knife.

Where's my lost property? says Arthur.

What? says Surfing-With-Whales. The gold coins? You got them back.

No I didn't! shouts Arthur.

Everyone turns towards Sweezus.

Oh yeah, says Sweezus, rummaging in his pocket. Here they are.

You see, says Belle et Bonne. There they are. Thanks to Sweezus. Now, what is everyone having? Papa?

I'll have the duck, says Vello. And a glass of champagne.

Everyone orders their dinner, bad-temperedly. What a waste of being at Les Deux Magots.

This won't do, says Belle et Bonne. Surely someone is happy. Niko? Freud?

I am not used to failure, says Niko.

I am, says Freud. One must sublimate one's fears and move on. Come back to Adelaide with me Niko. Help me run my new venture.

No thank you, says Niko. I must go back to my island. It will be Christmas soon.

Bingo! says Unni. You're the winner!

The winner? says Niko. Of what?

The prize  for being the first person this year to say that, says Unni. Usually it's my gran. She loves Christmas.

Everyone laughs.

How lovely it is after all to be in Paris, having dinner at Les Deux Magots. Only Ageless is missing.

The glass door swings open.

It's Ageless.

Lucky no one has ordered the lobster.


No comments: