Friday, July 26, 2013

Don't Spend Capital If You Don't Have To

Before we leave Arthur, let's make sure he's all right.

Arthur is on his way to Paris Gare du Nord. He's been thinking of London, and who he will meet there and what might happen.

But first he must purchase a ticket.

Arthur likes having two gold coins in his pocket. He doesn't want to use one of them up. He pulls out the shoe horn.

He leaves his bicycle on the footpath and ducks into a pawn shop.

What will you give me for this? says Arthur. It's no ordinary shoe horn.

Alors! says the pawnbroker. It looks like one. Perhaps it belongs to someone famous?

As a matter of fact, says Arthur, it does. It belongs to Katherine Hume, the mother of the famous philosopher.

Don't tell me! cries the pawnbroker. Le Bon David! The great David Hume!

That's the one, says Arthur. What will you give me for it? I need seventy euro to get on the Eurostar to London.

I will give you seventy euro, says the pawnbroker. In exchange for the shoe horn, and its provenance.

Provenance, says Arthur. Let's see. He rummages about in his pockets. Deeper and deeper he goes.

He pulls out a few crumpled papers. Power Bar wrappers, receipts for urine samples..... aha! The receipt for his shorts! Katherine had bought them, before they went to Turkey, because his old ones were stained with cuttlefish ink among other things....... but her name is not on the receipt.

Or is it?

Arthur turns it over. On the back is a hastily scribbled note. Keep the receipt Arthur, in case they don't fit! Katherine.

Here, says Arthur. That's her name. Katherine. And this is a receipt. And that name there, Arthur, that's me. Arthur Rimbaud.

Arthur Rimbaud! says the pawnbroker. I thought I knew that face! Here is seventy euro, with my compliments. After all, you are more famous than her.

So you don't want the shoe horn? says Arthur. I can keep it?

Yes I do want the shoe horn, says the pawnbroker. I am not stupid. But come back for it when you are ready. I shall keep it safe here.

Thank you, says Arthur.

He goes out of the pawnshop, and gets back on his bike. That was too easy. And it wasn't even her shoe horn. It was the one he'd acquired for himself. He jingles the coins in his pocket.

Yes, Arthur will be all right.







No comments: