Saturday, May 12, 2018

Dangerous Chasms

Where do I go? asks Terence.

Where would you like to go? asks Gaius.

Tell me again, says Terence.

I'll tell him, says Sweezus. You can't climb Chimborazo. There's heaps of snow and dangerous chasms.

(He imagines)

Or? says Terence.

Or, says Gaius, you might like to travel with the scientific expedition to find a new home for the tadpoles.

With us, says Saint Roley. Me and Princess Pacchu.

I hope I get some say in this, says Simon.

I would guarantee Terence's good behaviour, says Gaius.

NO! says Terence. What else is there?

Stay at home with me and do geometry practice, says Cherry.

Home? says Pablo Vicente Maldonado. If you mean here, that isn't an option. The house will be locked up. Have you forgotten we're off to Hawaii?

They could come with us, says Mariposa. Terence and Cherry. To Hawaii.

Ah, no, I don't think so, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. I have already booked the tickets.

Cherry doesn't need a ticket. She's a toy, says Pescado.

Cherry is offended.

An electronic parrot isn't a toy, says Cherry. But I could be a piece of equipment.

Yes! says Mariposa. Like a GPS or something.

What about me? says Terence. Can I be a piece of equipment?

He does not realise what this would entail.

Nor do the children.

Please dad!

Please! says Terence. 

Who do you actually belong to? asks Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

No one, says Terence. Him.

Not really says Sweezus. Long story.

Any objections from anyone? asks Pedro.

Is he kidding?

Everyone is glad.

Well now, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado, if I remember correctly, you're all sleeping here tonight, because Arthur, having chosen to take a train ride, and falling from the roof of the train under mysterious circumstances, and having to be rescued  and given a lift in a farm truck, thereby arriving here late for dinner, has failed to make a hotel booking for his party. But it's fine by me. We have many spare bedrooms. What about you, Simon?

We're fine, says Simon. We have a hotel. It's only Gaius's party. I guess we should head off there. Thanks for the wonderful dinner.

Take a few preserved figs with you, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. And don't forget the tadpoles. Mariposa, go into the kitchen and get them some ziplocks.

Off she goes, to find ziplocks.

No comments: