Friday, May 11, 2018

Fig Fracture

Mariposa has not gone inside yet.

She flicks torchlight over the fountain.

The droplets sparkle.

Like sweat drops, says Princess Pacchu.

So you lived on a farm, says Mariposa. What was that like?

Dreary, says Princess Pacchu.

You should apply for a passport, says Saint Roley. I've got one. It means I can go where I like.

Do they give passports to guinea pigs? asks Princess Pacchu.

Apply for a parrot one, says Saint Roley.

Is that what you've got? asks Mariposa.

Yes, says Saint Roley. It means I don't have to travel in a box.

Or a sack? asks Princess Pacchu.

Or a sack, says Saint Roley.

I'm going to Hawaii, says Mariposa. I get three days off school.

Her brother comes out to the fountain.

Dad says come in, says Pescado.

Okay. Are you guys coming? asks Mariposa.

No, says Saint Roley.

You should. They're deciding the future, says Pescado. Who goes where, with who and when.

Yes, you should, says Mariposa. Try and forget about the guinea pig dinner. It's all cleared away.

Easy for you to say, says Saint Roley. Princess Pacchu needs more space and time.

Do you like preserved figs in syrup, dear beautiful guinea pig Princess Pacchu? asks Mariposa. We have some.

Who could resist THIS cosmic fracture?

I do, she replies.

They go into the dining room. There is a plate of preserved figs on the table, each fig dripping with syrup and placed on a slice of fresh cheese.

Simon is saying: I'll contact the Riobamba team in the morning, and find out where they want the new tadpoles. Ideally, somewhere on the lower slopes of Chimborazo.

How good will that be? says Lydia.

Excellent! says Buzz. That means I can climb Chimborazo with these guys.

Afterwards, says Simon.

Sure. Afterwards, says Buzz.

And me, says Tilly. I'm climbing too. You Lydia?

Yep, says Lydia.

I'm losing my team, says Simon.

You have me, says Gaius.

And me, says Saint Roley.

And me, says Princess Pacchu.

We're losing our guinea pig, says Arthur.

I was never your guinea pig, says Princess Pacchu, biting into a fig.

No comments: