Friday, April 21, 2023

Leaving The Hollow

Hello, says Squattu to the toes of the Leadbeater's possum.

The toes do not reply.

But nor does any other part of the Leadbeater's possum.

Squattu squeezes into the hollow.

Nice hollow, says Squattu. Comfy.

Weweewe! wails the Leadbeater's possum.

Are you a baby? asks Squattu. 

Weweewe! repeats the Leadbeater's possum.

Wait here, says Squattu.

She zooms down to where Gaius, Pierre-Louis and Terence are waiting.

I found a Leadbeater's possum!

Just the one? asks Gaius.

That's what I call an ungrateful response, says Squattu.

Apologies, says Gaius. Well done, Squattu. The reason I asked was that they normally live in family groups.

Maybe it's injured, says Pierre-Louis.

Yes, go back and ask, says Gaiu. That is, if it's not too much bother.

No bother, says Squattu.

She flies back up to the hollow.

Me again, says Squattu.

C-huh! says the Leadbeater's possum.

Where is the rest of your family? asks Squattu.

C-huh! C-huh! coughs the Leadbeater's possum.

Calm down! says Squattu. I mean you no harm. I'm with a science expedition.

Pull the other one, says the Leasdbeater's possum.

So, you're not a baby, says Squattu.

No. We are a small type of possum, says the Leadbeater's possum.

Yes. A Leadbeater's possum, says Squattu.

We don't acknowledge that name, says the Leadbeater's possum.

Fairy possum? asks Squattu.

Phrrrt! says the Leadbeater's possum. 

And why are you here on your own? asks Squattu. Where is your family?

I've got a bad cough, says the Leadbeater's possum. They went out without me. They said they'd bring me some honeydew.

You can't transport honeydew easily, says Squattu.

C-huh! says the Leadbeater's possum.

Would you like to come down and talk to Gaius? asks Squattu.

Who's he? asks the Leadbeater's possum.

Our leader, says Squattu. A famous natural historian. 

No thank you, says the Leadbeater's possum. C-huh! C-huh!

I'm sure he could find a cure for your cough, says Squattu. He has notes on everything.

Notes? says the Leadbeater's possum. Okay, I'll come. Give me a minute.

Squattu zooms down again.

The possum is coming!


No comments: