Wednesday, April 12, 2023

There's No X In Possum

At the station.

I suppose we'll have to buy tickets, says Gaius.

I'll get them, says Pierre-Louis.

He goes to the information counter.

Two tickets to Lilydale, says Pierre-Louis. 

You'll need a myki, says the information officer. Or two mykis, I should say.

I don't have a myki, says Pierre-Louis. Nor does my companion.

You can purchase a myki, says the information officer. Concession?

Yes please, says Pierre-Louis. 

He purchases two mykis, and gives one to Gaius.

Where's mine? asks Terence.

You won't need one, says Pierre-Louis. You're under five.

I'm not under five, says Terence. I'm way older.

We know that, says Pierre-Louis, but if you travel as an infant you won't have to sit in a backpack.

Oh, okay, says Terence.

What about me? asks Squattu.

You're under five, says Terence. So you can stay on my shoulder.

Okay, says Squattu.

So that's sorted. 

They get on the train.

Toot. The train leaves the station.

Are we there yet? asks Terence.

We've only just started, says Gaius. You can't be bored yet. Would you like to look at my notes on the Leadbeater's possum?

I would, says Squattu.

Gaius hands his notes on the Leadbeater's possum to Terence.

I should look at those too, says Pierre-Louis. I have no idea what a Leadbeater's possum looks like.

Well then, says Gaius. Perhaps soon Terence will be able to tell you.

Yes, says Terence. It looks like a possum. 

After he has read up on it, says Gaius.

I only know a few letters, says Terence. 

This is your chance to learn a few more, says Gaius. I'm going to take forty winks.

Me too, says Pierre-Louis. I slept badly on Marx's floor last night.

The shelf was no better, says Gaius.

He and Pierre-Louis lean back in their seats and close their eyes.

Terence stares at the notes on the Leadbeater's possum.

What letters do you know? asks Squattu.

B, says Terence. 

Any others? asks Squattu.

X, says Terence. 

Useless, says Squattu. How about P?

P, says Terence. Everyone knows P.

Show me one, says Squattu.

Terence scrutinises the notes for a P.

Where does it say possum? asks Terence.

There, says Squattu.

P! says Terence. 

Sure enough, he is pointing at the first letter of possum.

You deduced it, says Squattu. That's not the same as reading.

It's better, says Terence. But it is kind of slow.

I'll read it, says Squattu. And you listen.

She reads: Early possum chunia pledgei of the extinct Ektopodontidae possum family with pyramid shaped cusps on its front molars...

She stops reading. 

You're a rubbish reader, says Terence.

These aren't the right notes, says Squattu.


No comments: