Friday, September 21, 2018

You're The Second Best!

On Nanum Beach.

A warm afternoon. Sunshine, white sand and blue water.

Frances has left Terence under a beach cherry, with Kobo.

Ageless has wandered off on his own.

Terence is looking for that bird he has forgotten the name of.

There's one! says Terence.

I don't think it is, says Kobo.

Why? asks Terence.

Because it's an ibis, says Kobo.

You're right! cries Terence. My bird has a red something.

What a shame Gaius and Humboldt aren't here, says Kobo.

Pyjama! says Terence.

No there's no bird called Pyjama, says Kobo. But look over there! An oystercatcher just like Saint Roley.

Terence is overjoyed to see an oystercatcher just like Saint Roley.

He gets up and runs towards it.

It hops a short distance away.

Stop! cries Terence. Do you know me?

The oystercatcher is suspicious. Who would ask that type of question?

Terence, says Terence.

No response.

Terence thinks for a moment.

It might know Saint Roley.

Do you know Saint Roley?

I know OF him, thinks the oystercatcher. But blowed if I'll say so.

He's the BEST, says Terence. But he didn't come. He wanted a rest. Not from me, from the others. So I had to get Pinky, and then she got lost down a hole.

There is little in this that the oystercatcher can relate to.

What is a Pinky?

Terence tries another approach.

Are there any Pyjamas near here?

Oystercatcher (surprised into speaking): Pyjamas?

Terence: YESSS!

Oystercatcher: That was me reiterating the last word of the question.

Terence: But you said Pyjamas.

Oystercatcher: No such bird as Pyjamas.

Terence: It has a red hairbrush.

Oystercatcher: You mean a red comb?

Terence: Do I?

Oystercatcher: If you do, there's a comb-crested jacana....

Terence: That's it! Where?

Oystercatcher: Not here. But I have seen one.

Terence (excited): Where? Make me a map!

The oystercatcher draws a rough map in the sand with it's principal toe.

A line with a dot. It could be anywhere.

Terence: Maybe just tell me.

Oystercatcher: Rocky Point. That way.

Terence: Thanks! You're the SECOND BEST!

He runs back to Kobo.

Guess what? I found out where there's a comb crested py...jacana! Let's go!

But Frances has returned with a bottle of noni juice.

So first, they all have to try it.

No comments: