Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Types Of Freedom

Time to leave the crash site.

But which way to go?

This way, says Freddy.

That feels wrong, says Greedy.

Follow me, says the Kroombit tinker.

That way? asks Freddy.

Yes, says the Kroombit tinker. Spot on.

Lead the way, says Terence.

Freddy can lead the way with me, says the Kroombit tinker.

No he can't, says Terence. Because I have to carry him.

I keep forgetting, says the Kroombit tinker.

I don't, says Freddy.

I'll hold you down low, says Terence.

This is kind of Terence, to hold Freddy down low, so that he can converse with the Kroombit tinker, who is leading the way.

It must be hard being you, says the Kroombit tinker.

I'm used to it, says Terence.

I meant Freddy, says the Kroombit tinker.

He isn't hard, says Terence. I am.

Do you MIND? asks Freddy.

I think Freddy would like to talk to the Kroombit tinker, says Greedy.

Okay, says Terence. 

So how about you and I leave them to it? says Greedy.

Thanks, says Freddy.

How can we leave them to it? asks Terence. 

We can ...I don't know, ... look around and make comments, says Greedy.

What about? asks Terence.

The plants, says Greedy. For example, what do you think that one might be?

How should I know? says Terence.

Lesser joyweed, says the Kroombit tinker.

Wow! says Freddy. 

And that one's a hairy silkpod, says the Kroombit tinker.

You know a lot, for a frog that hasn't been here all that long, says Freddy.

There's not much to do here, says the Kroombit tinker. 

At least you have freedom, says Freddy. Even more than the stones have.

Stones? says the Kroombit tinker. They don't have freedom. 

What about the ones that were stuck between Terence's toes? asks Freddy.

Even less so, says the Kroombit tinker.

But then they got free, says Freddy. Isn't that a type of freedom?

Know what I think? says the Kroombit tinker.

We're lost! says Terence.

No, says the Kroombit tinker. I think Freddy needs his independence.

O yes, says Freddy. Imagine. Going wherever I please.

Me too, says Greedy. What we need is motorised transport.

I was thinking of moveable legs, says Freddy.

We should ask Gaius, says Terence. He might know how to get them. Are we there yet?

The Kroombit tinker looks around at the bitterbarks and cottonbushes.

Tink! No. Not yet.


No comments: