Monday, September 14, 2009

Rousseau's Modest Proposal

Hello fellow Velocipedallers! Le Bon David here ! I have a treat for you today, a special article by our old friend Jean-Jacques Rousseau. He seems to have got a new bee in his bonnet about the treatment of bicycles. I hope you enjoy it.

:::::::::

Citizens, you thought you had heard the last of Jean-Jacques Rousseau! But no! I am here to tell you what is wrong with the bicycle riders of today !

Recently I was in Paris. I looked around me. Everywhere I saw the most shameful sights. Bicycles, beautiful bicycles, chained up to posts and railings, and left to fend for themselves! The owners were goodness knows where, in cafes perhaps, at school, in the shops, who can say? The bicycles were left entirely without direction. They lolled, they turned their handlebars inwards, they drooped. In short, they were neglected.

Everything degenerates in the hands of man. And the same is true of our friend the bicycle! It is time for a radical change. Modern bicycles being made of metal, their owners think they can stand up for themselves. This is what leads to the most extreme neglect. I propose that henceforth all bicycles should be made of WOOD.

Do not laugh, citizens! The people of Brazil and East Africa already use wooden bicycles. And never do they chain them up to posts and railings. There is no need! If the bicycles are a little heavier and travel more slowly, who will argue that is a bad thing? I challenge you all to make the move to wooden wheels today. Let us see no more metal bicycles in degrading chains!

No comments: