Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Taste of Green

Have you completed your quest? asked the Buddha. Can you tell me why there are no green stars in the sky?

Yes and no, I replied. Insofar as I now believe that there may be many green stars in the sky, but that we are unable to perceive them, due to the way in which our eyes function.

Is that all? said the Buddha.

No. Furthermore there is little point in speaking of green stars if they are unable to be perceived by us, since colour does not exist apart from us.

Isn't that rather circular? asked the Buddha.

That's rich, coming from you, I said. Not everything is circular that one might expect to be circular. Here for example, I have brought you a green frog cake, which, as you will see if you care to open your eyes, is square.

Thank you, said the Buddha, not opening his eyes but holding out his hand, and taking the cake.

The Buddha bit into the cake. Did you say this was a green cake? he asked.

Yes.

It tastes just like a white cake, or a yellow cake, he said, chewing thoughtfully. I conclude there is no taste to green.

And he swallowed it, never noticing that it looked like a frog.

No comments: