Sunday, October 11, 2009

Nevertheless

Where were you all weekend? asked Pliny the Elder. I had to buy two takeaway dinners.

Oh sorry, I said. I forgot to tell you. We went to the Barossa Valley for the weekend.

I suppose it was pleasant there? he said, not looking up from his books.

Very pleasant, I replied. Would you like to hear about it?

I should like to hear what you had to eat, he said wistfully, putting aside his work.

Well, I said, the first night we ate in the Tonic Restaurant at the Lyndoch Hill Retreat where we were staying. I had Lamb and Black Olive Sour Cream Pastry Pie on Buffalo Fetta Mash with Red Capsicum Sauce.

Ahh, said Pliny. That sounds like meat pie and sauce, with mash.

It was. But the lamb was as tender as could be and the olives were piquant and whole. The pastry was the best pastry I have ever had in my life. And the sauce was different because it wasn't tomato sauce.

Nevertheless, said Pliny.

No comments: