Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Professor Freud Writes a Rough Copy

To the Editors of Velosophy, (no no that will not do...)

Dear comrades, (yes that's better)

Thankyou for your letter which I am inclined to accept in the spirit of an apology, although none was expressed ( hah! ) Never let it be said that Professor Freud cannot read between the lines.

I have given much consideration to your offer to publish any article I might care to write on the subject of bicycles and philosophy. I note that you claim to be unable to offer me any payment for the said article, should I agree to write it. ( leave this out, sounds a bit petty...) This does not concern me. ( no leave it in, after all....)

I shall shortly commence writing an article which I believe your readers will enjoy, on the subject of my old friend and disciple Salvador Dali, and his use of symbolism with special regard to the symbolism of bicycles. I may also mention his hidden fears and desires and his suppressed sexuality resulting from his relationship with his father. Or I may not. ( hee hee, this will put the wind up Le Bon and Vel!)

It is a condition of my acceptance of your offer that you agree to my becoming a regular contributor to your magazine. I have much to say on the subject of bicycles and dreams. I have a very fine anecdote about my granddaughter and her bicycle which is most amusing. I have an interesting experiment made by Galileo that relates to bicycles and.. ( perhaps leave it here for now, they might think I'm pushing it a bit ...)

Looking forward to your positive response, comrades, as I should not like to have to retract my acceptance of your 'apology'. ( should I ?.....)

Professor Sigmund Feud ( oops! ) Freud.

No comments: