Thursday, February 21, 2013

Knowing Cockroaches Inside And Out

The next morning Paul is in his office. There is a knock on the door.

Come in! says Paul.

Good morning, says Gaius. I have come to observe.

Observe what? says Paul, who has forgotten what happened last night.

The examination of the evidence, says Gaius. Are you ready to go?

Ahh! says Paul, remembering. The evidence! Oh I don't think we need to bother, do you? The cleaners have been in, and ......

You are not getting out of it so easily, says Gaius. I insist on accompanying you to the SA Museum to present the two samples for an independent  decision.

But I'm busy, says Paul.

I' m not leaving, says Gaius. My reputation is at stake.

Alright says Paul, getting the two sealed plastic bags out of the top drawer of his desk. Here's the evidence. Let's go.

They leave the Science Exchange, walk down Exchange Place and along Grenfell Street to Gawler Place, then through to North Terrace and finally arrive at the SA Museum.

Paul asks to see Professor Steve Donnellan.

He's out, says the person on the desk.

Never mind then, some other time, says Paul.

We'll wait, says Gaius. Let's sit down in the foyer and look at the whale bones. I never get tired of looking at bones, and these bones are particularly lovely.

I have to agree with you there, says Paul. I'm a paleontologist myself, I love bones.

They sit in the foyer looking lovingly up at the bones.

Professor Steve Donnellan comes in through the glass doors, with a takeaway coffee.

Paul! says Steve. What are you doing here?

It's a long story, says Paul, but I want you to look at some tissue samples, if you wouldn't mind, and tell me if they're from the same creature.

How fascinating! says Steve. Is it a crocodile?

No, interrupts Gaius. Two cockroaches.

Steve notices Gaius for the first time.

Gaius! says Steve. Wonderful to see you again! Are you coming to my lecture tonight? The Sprigg?

Unfortunately I can't, says Gaius. I'm going to a Fringe event at the Tuxedo Cat. That's if I can clean up this ticket.

What's happened to your ticket? asks Steve.

It's covered with cockroach droppings, says Gaius. And they are the dickens to get off.

Come into my office both of you, says Steve. It just happens I know cockroaches inside and out.






No comments: