Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Second Goodbye

They drop Tom-Jelte at the airport.

Now that he's gone, says Belle et Bonne, I want a word with you, Sweezie.

If it's about the money I took from the collection box, says Sweezus, I only...

It wasn't, says Belle et Bonne, but it is now! You took money from the collection box! How could you? Did Arthur put you up to it?

She glares at Arthur.

Not Arthur! says Mrs Hume. Arthur was feeling poorly. He was outside the tent, being sick.

Belle et Bonne is convinced Arthur had something to do with it. Sweezus is easily led.

What did you want a word about then? asks Sweezus.

About Bunny, says Belle, and what she can do.

Me? says Bunny. About what I can do?

If you're going to live in Adelaide, says Belle et Bonne, you'll  need somewhere to live, and some means of support.

Can't I live with you? says Bunny.

That's the thing, says Belle et Bonne. Marie and I are going to Paris for a holiday.

Another holiday, says Sweezus. You girls.

At least we work for our money, says Belle et Bonne.

Sweezus looks crushed.

While we're away papa and David will need someone to work in the office. How would you both like a temporary job?  And Bunny could live in our flat.

Oh wow! I'd love that, says Bunny. What do you do?

We edit an online magazine called Velosophy, says Belle et Bonne. Famous people write articles on philosophy and cycling and we publish the best ones. Marie and I, we do the selections. Papa and David are always too....er....

Professionally jealous, says Mrs Hume.

Oh Katherine, don't let them hear you say that, says Belle et Bonne. What do you say Sweezie dear? You can earn some money and it's sort of like creative writing.

Awesome, says Sweezus, with little enthusiasm.

What'll I do? says Arthur, who is feeling left out.

Are you reliable? asks Midge.

Arthur is always reliable, says Mrs Hume.

Then I'll give you a job, says Midge. How are you with a camera?







No comments: