Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Five Ways To Get Lucky

Ming Rong catches up with Rosamunda.

Excuse me, Rosamunda, says Ming Rong. You should not walk around on your own.

Rosamunda turns round to examine Ming Rong. He is quite handsome.

I'm just going shopping, says Rosamunda. Where is the Silk Road?

Silk Road? says Ming Rong. You mean Xiushui Market. I'll show you.

That's nice of you, says Rosamunda. Especially after what I did to you on the subway.

All forgotten, says Ming Rong. And anyway I have been reimbursed.

Not by me, says Rosamunda.

Not by you, says Ming Rong. But you are so pretty. At Xiushui Market, you can buy silk pyjamas. They will feel cool on your skin. Do you want to?

I want to, says Rosamunda. And after that let's get something to eat. Something that isn't disgusting.

Ha ha, says Ming Rong. You are right, some Beijing snacks are disgusting. But we have hamburgers, pancakes and steamed buns with sweet red bean fillings that you will probably like. Shall we go now?

Rosamunda has heard that in Beijing you should never go anywhere with anyone for any reason.

But she is willing to make an exception.

...........

Richie Porte is saying goodbye to Lu Ban.

Good bye, Lu Ban, says Richie. Good luck with the dragon bike and everything. Might see you next year.

Thanks Richie, says Lu Ban. Got any parting advice for me?

Practice, says Sikong Shu.

I asked Richie, says Lu Ban, not you.

Practice, says Richie. And why don't you try the Tour Down Under? That's the first race of the season.

Are you going? says Lu Ban.

No, says Richie, but I hear Cadel Evans is.

Would he let me in his team? says Lu Ban.

No, definitely not, says Richie, but I'll ask around......someone might. We should ask Arthur. Where is Arthur?

Gone already, groans Sikong Shu.

........

Gaius is waiting for Arthur in front of the Institute.

At last, says Gaius. Do you realise I haven't seen you since you left Qijing?

Yes, sorry, says Arthur. That's why I haven't already told you....

What? says Gaius. Hurry up and tell me.

Before we left for China, says Arthur, remember, Sweezus was going to tell you something important, and you were abrupt so he didn't?

I don't remember any such thing says Gaius. What was it?

It was breaking news about the Giant Cuttlefish, says Arthur.

It won't be breaking news now, says Gaius. But what was it?

There's some genetic evidence that Sepia Apama might be a distinct population, says Arthur, trying to remember why that was important.

Eureka! says Gaius. That means a change in the taxonomic status. And that means there may be conservation implications. Well done Arthur! It's obvious I must go home at once. Which, in the circumstances, is lucky.

What circumstances? says Arthur. What's happened?

Put that bicycle away and I'll tell you while we walk up the stairs to the tea room, says Gaius.

Do they have snacks in the tea room? says Arthur, who has now got his appetite back.

Don't get your hopes up, says Gaius.


No comments: