Thursday, November 28, 2013

In The Great Hall Of The People

Lu Ban and Rosamunda arrive at the Great Hall of the People, and knock on the door.

The door opens. A head pokes out.

Sorry, says Lu Ban, Wrong door. I'm looking for President Hu Jintao.

You're one year too late, says the head. I'm the president now. And who might you be?

Lu Ban, says Lu Ban. Dear me. How time flies.

Indeed, says the President. Come in Lu Ban, respected carpenter immortal.

Thank you, says Lu Ban. You are gracious. May I ask your name.

Xi Jinping, says the President. Remember for next time. Cup of tea?

Thanks, says Lu Ban.

He and Rosamunda go into the President's office and sit down. The President rings for green tea.

You knew Hu Jintao? says the President.

Very well, says Lu Ban. He had a photographic memory, and he enjoyed ballroom dancing.

Rosamunda giggles.

It's not funny, says Lu Ban.

No, it isn't, says President Xi. As for me, I am known to smile in public, I hold my own umbrella, and occasionally roll up my trousers.

The two men look sharply at Rosamunda to gauge her reaction.

Any particular reason? says Rosamunda.

It makes sense when inspecting floods, says President Xi. And now, Lu Ban, how may I help you?

I have a dream, says Lu Ban.

You have come to the right person, says the President. My motto is China Dreams.

My motto is Endless Dragons, says Lu Ban. I wish to enter the next Tour Down Under with my new prototype dragon bicycle. Your support would be helpful.

Endless Dragons, says President Xi.  I like it. You shall have my support, as long as you represent China, and as long as you win.

That is the thing, says Lu Ban. I intend to win, but I need some help with the design of the bicycle. The dragon on the handlebars is giving me trouble. This young lady here is a designer, and she has cycling connections. She can help me.

Very good, says the President, looking again at Rosamunda. Hmm, she looks somewhat familiar....

Goddess Chang'e, says Lu Ban. In that photo.

Oh yes, says the President. The newspaper. That young lady! The one who got away......

I need her to stay a bit longer, says Lu Ban.

Certainly, says the President. As long as you like. Ah, China Dreams, Endless Dragons..... I do love mottoes. Do you have a motto young lady?

Adapt or die, says Rosamunda.

Fine motto, says President Xi. If a little direct for my liking.

No comments: