Monday, April 15, 2019

A Deeper Question

Lunch over, they climb into the HiLux and head south to Lake Clifton, where the thrombolites are.

It'll be a short stop-off, says Gaius.

No worries, says Sprocket. I've got stuff to think about.

A creative idea? asks Elodie.

Yeah, says Sprocket. Sort of.

Sounds promising, says Elodie. Yell out if you want to bounce any ideas off me.....

Or me, says Baby Pierre.

Not yet, says Sprocket.

They arrive at Lake Clifton.

Excellent! says Gaius. The water levels are low. Who'll come out on the boardwalk with me?

I will, says Elodie.

Not me, says Sprocket. I'll stay here, thinking.

I'm going in! says Mouldy.

Us too! say the Dirties.

Don't walk on the thrombolites, says Gaius. They're extremely rare living fossils, two thousand years old.

WE can walk on them, says Mouldy.

Heh-heh! laughs First Dirty. We're old as well.

I'm older than you, and I wouldn't walk on them, says Baby Pierre. I'll stay here with Sprocket, and take photos.

Of him thinking? says Elodie. Don't waste his phone battery.

He might think up something good, says Baby Pierre.

I might, says Sprocket.

Gaius and Elodie walk out onto the board walk, and look down on the rock-like formations.

The rock-like formations ignore them.

They gaze at each other, and listen to themselves making oxygen.

Bloop~~~bloop~~~

Thank you, thrombolites, says Elodie.

Indeed, says Gaius. We ought to thank them. They were among the first creatures on earth to produce oxygen. At least, their ancestors were.

Mm, says Elodie. This is magical. Sprocket should have come with us.

They turn and look back at Sprocket who is bending over something.

Something else glistens.

I hope it's not the knife he nicked from Café Moka, says Elodie.

He stole a knife? says Gaius. Whatever for, I wonder?

Probably to open the paint tin, says Elodie.

She is right. He is trying to open the paint tin.

Baby Pierre takes a photo.

Kruurp! The tin lid comes off.

Now what? says Baby Pierre.

You tell me, says Sprocket.

You don't have much imagination, do you, says Baby Pierre. I can think of a million ideas. Want one?

No, I've got one, says Sprocket.

He pokes a finger into the gold paint and paints a question mark on his own forehead.

Woo! says Baby Pierre. Does it mean something?

 It means what is the meaning of life? says Sprocket.

What is it backwards? says Baby Pierre.

Why ask that? asks Sprocket.

Because you painted it back to front, says Baby Pierre. Don't worry, it's a much deeper question.

No comments: