Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Double Happiness

The Jetstar flight lands in Perth.

It's four fifteen pm, but feels later.

I don't get it, says Baby Pierre.

Time zones, says Elodie. It's like we flew backwards.

Luckily, Gaius isn't listening, and David's not here.

Because it's not like they flew backwards.

Gaius is looking for a bus to the CBD.

Here comes one.

They get on.

I must contact Arthur, says Gaius.

He tries. But Arthur doesn't answer.

Why do you want him? asks Elodie.

I need him to find my notes on Project Maratus, says Gaius.

Try Shu, says Elodie. He's got a new phone.

She gives Gaius the number. He tries.

Ni hao, says Shu.

Shu, says Gaius, we're in Perth and I've brought the wrong notes. Are you at my house?

No, says Shu, I'm at David's. His mother Katherine is cooking.

Very nice, says Gaius. What is she cooking?

A stir fry with slices of rockmelon rind, says Shu.

The rind? asks Gaius.

She wasn't going to use the rind, says Shu. I always use it.

Most commendable, says Gaius. What does it taste like? I imagine something like carpet.

Not at all, says Shu. Crunchy.

Will you be going past my house? asks Gaius. I'd like you to drop in and pick up my notebook.

I don't have a key, says Shu.

Arthur knows where the spare key is, says Gaius.

Good, says Shu. A genuine reason to contact Arthur. You've just made my day.

I thought the rockmelon rind was doing that, says Gaius.

Ha ha, laughs Shu, in double happiness.

No comments: