Sunday, April 28, 2019

Don't Ask Her If She Knows The Future

Shu rushes out to help David, who has tripped on the boardwalk.

Before rushing, he has put down the tin.

Actually, more like dropped it.

Clang! Baby Pierre, First and Second Dirty roll onto the sand, along with.....

Lavender!

Lavender! cries Baby Pierre.

Hello, cousin, says Lavender. She says cousin because she does not know First or Second Dirty, and they are both staring.

Who said YOU could come? asks Baby Pierre.

Arthur, says Lavender.

I bet he didn't, says Baby Pierre. How did he say it?

Come on, says Lavender. He said Come on, you're a space in the shape of a fossil, and I said I loved him and he said why and I said because you said I could come.

Baby Pierre looks up at Arthur who is looking towards the boardwalk where Shu is helping David get up.

Did you say she could come?

Yes, says Arthur. It turns out I said she could come.

Baby Pierre can't argue with that. Arthur said she could come.

Introduce us to your cousin, says First Dirty.

Baby Pierre, says Lavender.

Not him, you, says First Dirty.

Lavender, says Baby Pierre. She's my cousin. She's an empty space. What more can I say?

She's pretty, says Second Dirty. And she looks like a shell that got stuck in a pebble.

Actually, says Lavender, I'm not the shell, which by the way is an augur. I'm the space inside it.

You can't be, says First Dirty.

Too bad, says Lavender. I am.

She is, says Baby Pierre. And don't ask her if she knows the future.

You should never tell someone not to ask someone else if they know the future.

Does she? asks Second Dirty.

No, says Baby Pierre

Why would we ask her? asks First Dirty.

Because I'm a space in the shape of a auger, says Lavender.

See how stupid she is, says Baby Pierre. She thinks an auger is the same as an augur.

I DO know the future, says Lavender. I know your dumb bicycle has fallen into the water and you're not getting it back because we're in a hurry to go and look for spiders.

No WAY! says Baby Pierre.

He rolls out onto the boardwalk to meet David who is slowly limping back.

Shu is a bit further out on the boardwalk, flat on his stomach, extending a hand into the water.

What for?

What for indeed.

Soon we shall see whether Lavender does know the future.

No comments: