Sunday, April 21, 2019

Three Friends Left Behind

Baby Pierre wants to go back to Lake Clifton for Mouldy and First and Second Dirty.

Gaius won't hear of it.

They'll be quite happy there, says Gaius.

Elodie joins them.

Great glass art exhibition, says Elodie. I particularly loved the three glass bottles with black bands dividing the cracked dark brown tops from the cracked ochre bottoms.

Oh yes, says Carolyn. They're from our own collection. I love them too. The smooth glass finish contrasts with the cracked earth appearance below the surface.

Perhaps I should take a look, says Gaius.

I'm GOING! shouts Baby Pierre. If no one will take me I'll go on my bicycle!

Don't do that, says Elodie. What would you do when you got there?

Bring them here, says Baby Pierre. Or to wherever you are.

Impossible, says Elodie. They wouldn't all fit on your bike.

It's true.

Baby Pierre has a brainwave.

Arthur and David can pick them up on their way through!

I suppose I could ask them, says Gaius. I was about to send David a message. How shall I put it?

While you're doing that, says Carolyn, Sprocket and I will go back to my office to see if his phone's finished charging.

She goes. Sprocket follows her glumly.

Right, says Elodie. Message. What do we want them to do exactly?

Rescue my friends, says Baby Pierre.

How will Arthur and David know who they are?

They won't, says Baby Pierre. So I'll have to ride back to Lake Clifton to meet them. I'm the vital link in the rescue.

So you are, says Elodie. Are you sure you want to do this?

The question is, says Gaius, are we sure Arthur, David and Shu will want to do this? It's out of their way.

Ask them, says Elodie. Message all three of them. It'll seem more urgent.

Yes, says Gaius. David first: Dear David....

You don't need dear David, says Elodie. It's an SMS not an epistle.

What then? asks Gaius.

Just start, says Elodie. Write this: Urgent you stop off at Lake Clifton. Baby Pierre stranded. See you Lake Jasper Thursday. Exo.

Exo? says Gaius.

Kiss, hug, says Elodie. Maybe not.

Humph, says Gaius. Now for Arthur, Dear Arthur...no, simply Arthur......

Simply Arthur, says Elodie. Have asked David to stop off at Lake Clifton to pick up Baby Pierre, and  three friends, possibly jaspers.

They're not jaspers, says Gaius.

No, they're not jaspers, says Baby Pierre.

This is for Arthur, says Elodie. He's more likely to do it if he thinks that they're jaspers.

All right, says Gaius. And I'm only saying possibly jaspers.

Good, says Elodie. Done. Now for the last one.

Shu, says Gaius. This is rather enjoyable. How should we put it to him?

Elodie thinks for a moment.

Something poetic.

The water darkens.
Three friends left behind
Wait for three friends to come to the rescue.

I'm not writing that, says Gaius. He may misinterpret the meaning.

Write this, says Baby Pierre. Baby Pierre will meet you on the Lake Clifton boardwalk at the third thrombolite on Thursday morning. Bring a container.

Very sensible, says Gaius. He writes that, and sends it.

Sprocket returns, with his phone.

Let's go, says Sprocket.

Tell us what she thought of your video, says Elodie.

No, says Sprocket.

No comments: