Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Pepper And Regret

Terence returns, holding Alexander-Times-Roman, in two pieces.

I broke your crab, says Terence. But it was his fault.

Kierkegaard and Belle examine the pieces.

The control crab is deceased.

He was our control crab, says Kierkegaard.

Was he?  says Belle. Oh yes, you were going to ask my opinion...

It hardly matters now, says Kierkegaard.

Can't one of these be a control crab? asks Belle. You have five. And they've all got the same names. How cute.

I suppose I could delegate another one to be a control crab, says Kierkegaard.

Of course you could, says Belle. How about this one?

How quickly she seems to solve problems.

He will ask her about the tap water.

Tap water! says Belle. Who knows what silly old Gaius was thinking? Just throw some salt in.

See! She is solving this too.

She reminds him of his dear sweet Regine. He should have married her. Why didn't he?

Salt, says Kierkegaard. Where is it?

On the table, says Terence. I'll get it!

You remind me of my former fianceƩ, says Kierkegaard.

What happened to her? asks Belle.

She married someone else , says Kierkegaard. After I broke off the engagement.

Crikey, says Belle.

I knew I would regret it, if we married, says Kierkegaard, but also, if we didn't.

And I suppose you were right, says Belle. What was she like?

Lovely and intelligent, says Kierkegaard.

What on earth were you thinking? asks Belle.

Of my own personality, says Kierkegaard, I couldn't...

But Belle has spotted Terence twisting the pepper grinder over the crab bowls.

Not PEPPER! cries Belle.

Not much harm done, says Kierkegaard. Four of the crab bowls are empty.

Yes, but the other two, says Belle.

Those are the females, says Kierkegaard. They chose the breakfast bowls and climbed into them precipitately.

Well now they're covered in ground pepper, says Belle.

Sorry, says Terence. Wrong one.


No comments: