Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Facing Extinction

Pierre-Louis comes into the garden.

Much to do? asks Pierre-Louis, noting the long grass and weeds. 

A great deal, says Gaius. But I don't have the time. I must get out to Winaityinaiyti Pangkara with all speed.

What's the hurry? asks Pierre-Louis. Apart from the obvious.

What is the obvious? asks Camus.

The orange bellied parrot is facing extinction, says Pierre-Louis.

I didn't know that, says Camus. But I look at it this way. We all are.

Not as soon, says Gaius. And not through no fault of our own. The reason for haste is that the orange bellied parrot flies back to Tasmania once winter is over.

I see, says Camus. So you won't know if there are none due to extinction or because they've flown to Tasmania.

You catch on fast, says Gaius. That's it exactly.

I could stay behind and do a bit of work in your garden, says Pierre-Louis. And then join you later.

That is kind, says Gaius. But I need an assistant. 

I could come with you, says Camus. 

Sweezus who has been watching a wasp near the water tank, smells a rat.

Or at least a smart tactic.

If Camus assists Gaius, Gaius might be willing to sign the admission that he ate penguin pie. 

Yeah well, good luck Camus. 

Terence comes out in his new parrot shorts.

Can I do the hosing?

All right, says Gaius. Water these beans and then the pots with the parsley.

Woo! says Terence, grabbing the hose and twisting the nozzle.

The fine mist turns into a powerful jet, strong enough to knock broad bean plants over.

Terence attempts to redirect it towards the water tank.

Psshhh... Thud...Thud...Thud... (a faint buzz...)

The wasp drowns.


No comments: