Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Authorities on Bees

I happen to know a lot about bees, said Pliny. In fact I am one of the ancient authorities on bees, along with Varro, Vergil and Columnella. I know that bees like music but I do not think they are particularly fond of water.

Alright, I said reasonably. Explain to me how you know they like music. And then I will explain to you why they like water.

There is much evidence that bees respond well to music, said Pliny. For instance it is known that drumming on the hive will cause the bees to rise harmoniously while the beekeeper removes the honey in complete safety. Furthermore, when bees are flying away, the clapping of hands and tinkling of cymbals will suffice to bring them home again. We have this on the authority of Varro.

That is delightful, I said. Now I hope that you will also like what I have to tell you about bees and water.

Go on, said Pliny.

Bees drink water. And they need it to feed the young bees and to dilute their food . They cool down the air by fanning their wings over the water to evaporate it. Bees like to live near water. I've heard that some of them even live in water meters.

That reminds me, said Pliny, of a tale I recorded in my Natural Histories, about the bees from the village of Hostilia on the banks of the River Po. When the flowers were finished the people used to place their hives on ships and sail them 5 miles up the river. The bees would go out every day and come back with their booty. After a few days the ships would sink lower in the water, and then the people would know the hives were full of honey. They then sailed home and extracted the honey from the hives. This story shows that bees do not mind travelling over water.

That's a good story, I said. If it didn't contradict my own position I would tell you something that I read the other day on the subject of bees travelling over water.

Oh go on, tell me, said Pliny.

Well, it seems that bees prefer to cross a river by bridge rather than fly straight across the water. It's because the water throws out their navigation.

That is most amusing, said Pliny, if it is true.

Of course it's true, I replied. It's from the BBC.

No comments: