Monday, June 22, 2009

Compelling

Compulsory? said Pliny the Elder. Didn't you mean compelling?

No, I meant compulsory. People stopped in their tracks on the pavement. There were people pointing excitedly on seats. A man stopped in front of us and told us that dolphins were amazing creatures. I remember thinking, What am I doing here?

Very existential, remarked Pliny. Do I take it you are not really fond of dolphins?

Not overly, I replied. No more than of tuna. I remember reading once that dolphins were
capable of being rather nasty. Or was it whales?

No, said Pliny, dolphins do sometimes behave badly. I have heard that they kill porpoises and even sometimes kill their own young.

Chacun a son gout, I said philosophically, but the thing is, I wasn't pleased to realise that I felt under a compulsion to stop and watch it play, or try to catch its dinner, or whatever it was doing.

Free will is an illusion, said Pliny, wisely. I have been reading your library book, 13 Things That Don't Make Sense, and one of the Things is free will. They've discovered that our brain gives out readiness signals a good half second before we make a conscious decision to act.

Yes, it makes sense, I said. Otherwise how would we ever get out of bed in the morning? But on the other hand, I wasn't totally convinced that this wipes out free will. It may just be a combination of habit and our brain's efficiency. I'd like to see them test it on a baby.

Good point, said Pliny. By the way, where is that book? I was looking for it this morning.

Oh sorry, I had to take it back to the library, it was overdue.

Couldn't you get an extension?

No, they wouldn't let me, it had already been reserved by someone else.

No comments: