Monday, June 8, 2009

Dark Energy

So, said Pliny, you think that you experienced Dark Matter? Are you sure it wasn't just a funny turn?

Of course it wasn't just a funny turn. I was already thinking about Dark Matter, and then I had the strange experience. If it was just a funny turn it would have been the other way around.

Alright, said Pliny, I apologise. But why do you think everything seemed to have grown larger and looked so far away?

Dark Energy, I replied. The expanding universe. Dark Energy accounts for 74% of the energy in the entire universe. Dark Matter accounts for 22%, and only 4% of the energy in the universe is able to be seen directly.

Are you sure? asked Pliny, looking sceptical.

Of course I'm sure, I read it in my book. Although, I suppose it's really only still a theory.

I don't think you have entirely understood it, said Pliny. Surely if the universe is expanding, it's only expanding outside of our solar system. I assume nobody thinks the Moon is hurtling away from Earth at a great rate of knots, and Venus from the Earth?

Well, no, at least that wasn't in my book. But maybe they are.

Nonsense. If that were so, our heads would be expanding at the same rate, and so would this house, and this city and everything else that we see.

Exactly. That was what it felt like, on Sunday. Well, not my head.

This science is no good, said Pliny, shaking his head.

Terra incognita, I replied. Have some chocolate.

No comments: