Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Man With A Plan

It's embarrassing, but Gaius attempts to save face.

Yes yes, says Gaius. Pluto is a dog. But you must remember, gods can change shape.

Of course, says Nikolaos, getting awkwardly out of the pool. But I imagine that soon you'll be leaving.

I shall, agrees Gaius. As you mentioned I don't have very long.

The Tour? says Nikolaos. By the way, are you short of a member?

I beg your pardon! says Gaius. Oh, a team member! Why? Don't tell me you ride?

I ride like the devil, says Nikolaos. In fact often I don't touch the ground. It's a talent honed over the centuries.

Well then, says Gaius. I do need a team member. In fact I have been quite remiss, what with cuttlefish issues and more recently the Portal. I assume I am registered! Arthur?

Arthur looks blank. Registered? Not that he knows.

He nods in an ambiguous fashion, and goes back to where Bunny is laughing and splashing water over Katherine and the Professor, which they seem not to mind.

Bunny, says Arthur, in a low tone. Are we registered?

I suppose you mean for the Tour? says Bunny. Not if you haven't done it. Has Gaius?

I don't think so, says Arthur. I guess we'll just have to turn up. They won't even notice.

The Tour de France? says Professor D'Andria. It won't be as simple as that. They have strict regulations.

They do, agrees Katherine. And Arthur, you don't have  bike.

Arthur looks pointedly at Bunny, who does not meet his gaze.

He sticks his hands in his pockets. At least he has two gold coins. He takes them out and looks at them thoughtfully.

What have you there? asks Professor D'Andria. They look antique.

He examines the coins and immediately becomes excited. Fourth century! Good heavens! Where did Arthur get those?

Found them, says Arthur. On the boat that we borrowed. Are they worth much?

Worth much! cries Professor D'Andria. They are priceless! However, strictly speaking you should surrender them to the Turkish authorities.

No, says Bunny. They belong to Nikolaos. And he's got more in.... uh...no.... never mind.

But it is way too late now. She has said it.

And Arthur is a man with a plan.

No comments: