Thursday, June 20, 2013

Like Most In The World

Oof! says Gaius, waking up with a start. Lavender! How did you get out?

I don't know, says Lavender. I suppose I was thrown out by that husband in there.

Husband? says Gaius, thinking quickly. Could Lavender have come face to face with the God of the Underworld?

Lavender, says Gaius. Tell me truthfully. What was his name?

Not telling, says Lavender.

Well, what did he look like? asks Gaius.

Couldn't see, says Lavender. It was dark.

You must have seen something, mutters Gaius.

No, says Lavender. Nothing.

This is why I didn't want you to be my assistant, says Gaius.

No, Gaius, says Lavender. This is BECAUSE you didn't want me to be your assistant.

Gaius tries another tack.

Lavender, says Gaius, what would you like most in the world?

A happy ending, says Lavender.

Ah, says Gaius. We shall both have a happy ending, if you just try to recall what you saw. Or wait! You called him a husband. He must have said something. Tell me what you heard.

He asked for a date, says Lavender. He misses his wifey. He wants a happy ending too. But I know you don't. And I won't tell you anything else until we see Baby Pierre. I want him to be listening when I tell it. And Arthur. And Professor Francesco.

Alright Lavender, says Gaius. Let us descend to the hotel and have a debriefing.

He picks up little Lavender and puts her in his knapsack, then sets off down the hill.

In a short time he is at the hotel. No one is there but the manager.

Your friends are at the hot calcium springs, says the manager.

Gaius is surprised. Even Bunny? She could not be as sick as she looked.

He arrives at the pool where that morning he had left Katherine soaking. There is Arthur, Professor D'Andria, and Baby Pierre. Also Bunny, looking white as a sheet.

Wonderful news! says Gaius. Lavender saw and heard something in the depths of the Portal. Gather round, everyone. Lavender, speak.

He pulls Lavender out of his knapsack. Puts her down on the rim of the pool.

She looks straight at Baby Pierre.

I was all by myself, says Lavender. But I wasn't afraid. I saw Pluto. And he had a black nose.


No comments: