Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Supposed To Be Terrorists

Everyone looks at Terence, who is blue and not breathing.

We've killed him, says Opal. He's not breathing.

He doesn't, says Baby Pierre.

Are you psychic? asks Alli. Are you the small medium at large?

That was a stand-alone joke, says Victor. Nothing to do with him.

I do know the future, says Baby Pierre. The Green Flash will rise again.

But not yet. Terence lies there immobile.

Stretcher! says Rex. Sticks and canvas. Hop to it!

Max looks around for the parts.

There is a barrel with sticks and flags in it.

Go, go, go! says Max to Alli, pointing at the barrel.

This is called teamwork.

Alli runs to the barrel, grabs two sticks with flags.

She runs back to where Terence is lying.

Made it! Well done Alli!

(Because aren't there supposed to be terrorists? Has everyone forgotten?)

Alli and Iris make a stretcher for Terence, and lift him on carefully.

His little shorts are all blue now. You can't see the geckos.

Iris touches his face.

What a cherub, says Iris.

Terence is offended. He opens his eyes.

Cherub indeed.

He's alive! cries Alli.

I don't die till I'm older, says Terence.

Wow! says Alli. How do you know? Are you psychic too?

No he isn't, says Baby Pierre.

A man appears at the edge of the clearing. A man on a bike. A man with a notebook and a mechanical pencil.

Red alert, men! cries Rex. Terrorist!

There you all are, says Gaius. Ready for my talk on local bird life?

Pa-choong! ( That was Max! What a hot-head!)

Luckily he misses.

Gaius, says Victor. I see you still have my pencil.

Here it is, says Gaius. Sorry I kept it. Inadvertence on my part.

Is this another joke? asks Opal. Because it's not funny. We've got a kid on a stretcher.

Joke? says Gaius.

I told a joke , says Victor. I thought it went down rather well.

Would everyone rather I told a joke ? asks Gaius. I do know one.

Yes! cries Baby Pierre.

It's an amusing definition, says Gaius. A geologist friend of mine told me....

Go on, says Alli.

A plateau is the highest form of flattery, says Gaius.

There follows a short silence.

What's the punchline? asks Baby Pierre.


No comments: