Friday, October 10, 2014

The Well-Ordered Universe

Baby Pierre zooms back to the van to get his bicycle.

Terence waits under a tree.

Footsteps crackle in the undergrowth. Two team members appear.

Forgot to take out my contacts, says one team member.

I need a pee, says the other. Hope we don't get in trouble.

They disappear into a building. Two minutes later they come out.

Terence knows a heaven-sent chance when he sees it.

Why wait for Baby Pierre?

Crackle crackle.

Did you hear that, Iris? says the other team member ( Alli ).

Yes, says Iris, I did. Oh Jesus! Has it started already?

No way, says Alli.  We're nowhere near the Barrels. But yeah. Stop a minute.

Terence keeps walking, straight into the trap.

Sheez! A baby! says Iris. That's so wrong.

Yeah, says Alli, but is it a real one, or one of those camouflage dummies?

Idiot, says Iris. No one would do that.

Terrorists would, says Alli. Human shields and all that.

Talk to it, says Iris. But don't pick it up.

Hello baby, says Alli. Anything to say for yourself?

I used to live in a palace, says Terence. I had my own Parrot. In Spain.

Something's wrong with it, says Alli. That makes fuck all sense.

I reckon, capture it anyway, says Iris.

No no, says Terence. That was me giving you my credentials. I'm part of your team.

No kidding! says Iris. Wait a second. What game are we playing?

The Barrels, says Terence.

You don't happen to know the way, do you? asks Alli.

I even know a short cut, says Terence.

Cool, says Iris. Lead on, baby.

Green Flash, says Terence, fitting easily into the narrative

.........

Baby Pierre has arrived at the van.

Kong Fu-Zi is sitting outside, with his foot up.

Hello, says Baby Pierre. I've come for my bicycle.

Laughter drifts through the curtainless window.

Who's inside? asks Baby Pierre. A policeman?

A would-be philosopher, says Kong Fu-Zi. I have been driven outside.

But you DO philosophy! says Baby Pierre.

Listen, says Kong Fu-Zi. Laughter! Is philosophy supposed to funny?

No way, says Baby Pierre. It's meant to be boring.

Perhaps you would like Vincent's joke, says Kong Fu-Zi. I didn't.

What was it? asks Baby Pierre.

The police are not here to create disorder, they are here to preserve disorder, says Kong Fu-Zi.

That's a rubbish joke, says Baby Pierre. Did Professor Freud think it was funny?

He laughed till he cried, says Kong Fu-Zi.

That's funny, says Baby Pierre.

He grabs hold of his tiny bicycle with its green fluoroelastane wheels.

I'm off to the Barrels, says Baby Pierre. I mean, nowhere....don't tell anyone. Bye. Hope to die.

Kong Fu-Zi closes his eyes and drifts into a dream of a beautiful well-ordered universe.

No comments: